Since its inception in 2002, FORT has accomplished many things to support the construction of the Rail Trail and Save the Tracks. Below is a brief summary of the highlights and accomplishments to date:
- Worked with the Regional Transportation Commission to secure $125 million of the $500 million raised by Measure D to be used exclusively for rail and trail.
- Created an effective local bike and walk focused outreach campaign to advocate for quality of life, health and sustainability benefits of passing Measure D
- Coordinated and collaborated with the D Campaign to get Measure D passed with a super majority!
- Provided match funding for the Westside of Santa Cruz and Watsonville sections of the rail trail
- For over 10 years, FORT advocated and supported public ownership of the rail corridor leading to the County’s purchase of the Coastal Rail Corridor in 2012
- Provided support and outreach efforts to engage the public and stakeholders in the review and approval of the Monterey Bay Sanctuary Scenic Trail Network Master Plan adopted in 2013.
- Provided numerous presentations to businesses, public agency, and local government officials to generate awareness and support for the Coastal Rail Trail
- FORT is leading the community effort to raise awareness, private funds, and advocate for the construction of the new rail trail and preservation of the existing tracks